Thursday, November 29, 2007

#23 Last but not least

"Mom is so cute!" my kids said after I showed them my blogs. "You are the second mom who has a Facebook account among all my friends." my daughter commented. When I showed my son the application of Google.Docs, he was so impressed and said: "This is the first time mom taught me something." After he saw my puzzled face, he added: "I mean computer-related." He thought I was "computer illiterate". Now I proved I could do it like them or even better. This is all because I took the journey with Queens Library Learning 2.0. When I first started 23 and 1/2 Things, I wasn't sure if I could accomplish it. Each time, it took me so much time to learn the new Thing, but as I was working towards the end, I felt so much better and more comfortable. Working in the branch, you are constantly interrupted or distracted by various things. I could never finish one entire blog without being interrupted. The good thing about Blogger is that you can go back to your earlier blog anytime and edit it. Through this journey, I have learned more than I have expected. I set up my goal of learning the very basics such as jargon or technical terms, but it turned out that I could do them all. My favorite exercises are Google Docs, Upcoming events in Yahoo, RSS feeds and Library Thing. Those will help and actually helped me in the daily operations of the library. I posted several events that will take place in the library through Upcoming using Google Docs. This helps to increase the visibility of the library in the community.

If Library is going to offer another discovery training, I will participate again without doubt. I hope next time the training will start a little bit easier and give more time for each exercise. As a beginner, I need more time to review, preview literature and practice. I am so glad that I achieved my short-term goal and am looking forward to the next challenge. This training will definitely benefit me in the future. I will nominate QL.Thing team for Lamplight Award for next year!

3 comments:

hood_and_hat said...

I will nominate QL.Thing team for Lamplight Award for next year!

Hooray!

Seriously ... I think it's so great when participants post about teaching their kids stuff.

Jenn said...

i love the story about your kids and how you were able to teach them something via this project!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.