Saturday, November 24, 2007

#18 Web-based Applications - Google Docs

Today I tried one of the web-based applications - Google Docs. It is a very useful tool and can be used to create and share your work online. You can import the existing documents, spreadsheets and presentations, or create new ones from scratch. The best of all is that you can access and edit your documents from anywhere and store them securely online. You can invite people to your document and make changes together - it's very helpful when you do a group presentation or work as a committe member.

I spent some time trying to create files or upload files. I found that when you upload files, it lists the types of files you can upload. It also gives you the options of sharing or publishing documents. You can even publish it to your blog. I tried to post one photo from Google Docs to my blog, the file went through, but the image didn't. I also tried to share one document with my colleague, and it went through successfully. The following is a word file that I uploaded from my desktop and saved it as a presentation file. Here it is:

This document is published on the web.
Your document is publicly viewable at:
http://docs.google.com/Presentation?id=dhtprxk5_118cx976
Published on November 24, 2007 1:13 PM

One of the benefits to participate in Queens Library Learning 2.0 is to know that we have so many web-based applications available to us but we didn't know they even exist. Now we can recommend to our customers those tools especially when they don't have floppy dics or flash drives with them and they want to save their files.

No comments: